Saturday, June 20, 2009

Big Glassy and Poet of "Chicago"

Salvete!

[Former Picture] Can you believe it? My love's dad drives a MiniCooperS! I haven't gotten to drive it yet, but I've been on my best behavior, so we'll see how that goes.

[Former Picture] Yesterday, we took a trip away from the fairy cottage to the 22-year home of Carl Sandburg. For those of you who are illiterate or otherwise uninformed, Carl Sandburg is a one of the great American poets, considered canonical, and is in all of my college English textbooks. He wrote the widely recognized poem, "Chicago," and is the author of an extensive biography on Abraham Lincoln. The grounds of his home were beautiful. Below, you can see some of the sights. He had three scarecrows in his garden, two live, and one not (see below for a photo of this phenomenon).
[Former Picture] Sandburg's wife kept goats, and while we were at the Sandburg home, we learned that his wife held the record for highest milk production for ages, and was well known in goat circles, for whatever worth that may have. Here, you can see me petting a Nubian goat (brought from Africa at some point in Britain's conquering of the free and not-so-free world) named Cooper, the newest arrival at the Sandburg property.
[Former Picture] One of the most strenuous parts of our vacation so far has been my trek up Big Glassy, to the Big Glassy lookout. It was a 1.3 mile trek to the top on a 110' slope. BG isn't the biggest mountain in the world, but it certainly kicked my tail, as I was out the rest of the day, completely exhausted from my climb. In the end, it was so worth it!
[Former Picture] Here's a picture of us, looking very similar to the picture above, at the goat farm.
All in all, we've had a wonderful time here in North Carolina. I met my love's paternal side of the family tonight, and they were so much fun! I think they liked me pretty well, and I liked them too! My love's stepmom is a wonderful cook! Yummy!
More to come! Tomorrow we are going to church and to a big ole father's day lunch.
Valete,
Magistra

1 comment:

Ionait O'Cian said...

Oh my gosh, it says you posted this at 7 A.M.! Go back to bed! haha! Kito and I stayed asleep til nearly 11. xD All of the pictures are so cute. It looks like you're having a great time! You'll feel so bored when you get home to monotony!

Confirmation Word: Strowspi.