Friday, March 4, 2011

No.

Salvete.

This was written in frustration.

"No" is not a word students like to hear. Heck, adults do not like to hear it either. Let's be honest with ourselves. When someone tells us no, it makes us feel like less of a human since our choice is being taken from us.

"Can I go to my locker?" the student asks. I at least have the (feigned) courtesy to ask why. He says, "Because I have stuff in my bag that I don't need."

Now, you would think that perhaps I might say yes. Such a request to relieve oneself of unneeded school supplies is not unreasonable. If it had been during passing period I would have said yes. If he had not already asked to go somewhere and received an answer to the negative, I would have said yes. If he didn't treat me like a jerk every day for the last four months, I would have said yes.

And yet, when I said no, he acted as though I were imposing some sort of unreasonable restriction on him. What a horror, not to be able to go to your locker at will! What an inconvenience. Heaven forbid he be inconvenienced. (Added later) I just asked him, "Please pick your head up." He moved it so that it was still down but he could see. I said again, "Please pick your head up." He made the tongue-click-I'm-so-inconvenienced-by-your-request noise. ARG! (End of late addition).

Don't get me wrong. I like this kid. He is a great student, very intelligent. We had a good rapport at the start of the year. What happened? Who can say? My first inclination is to blame myself, but I choose not to do so. I have treated him with nothing but courtesy, and if he wishes to hold some sort of odd grudge for no apparent reason, who am I to deny him that? I dare not withhold the rights to which a sixteen-year-old is entitled. I dare not inconvenience the poor boy.

Valete,
Magistra

1 comment:

Draco said...

So many key words! But I'm very glad you (correctly) decided not to blame yourself for the volatility of a teenager's affection. :)