Wednesday, March 9, 2011

?

Salvete.

Same kid as the backpack locker infuriation post.

I give the kids a worksheet as a tool to help them with a debate on Friday.

He asks, "Do we have to fill this out?"

Really?

REALLY?

Ok.

_____

I wrote the above post in a flourish of disgust and anger. However, upon further reflection, I feel that the episode as described is insufficient. It looks like the kind of thing any high schooler would say. I like this kid, in a way. The way is: He is good at academics. The way I get frustrated with this kid is he gives me attitude about everything I say. He was butting into a conversation I was having with another student, and I asked him to please mind his own business. He goes off and makes a huge deal about, "OK IF THAT'S HOW YOU WANT TO BE!" In fact, it was not how I wanted to be. I wanted to tell him to take his arrogance out of my classroom until he could act his age, but I did not. Because I am an adult. I AM AN ADULT.

The thing is, when you think you are an adult, you think you can say whatever you want. However, when you are an adult, you cannot just go around spouting whatever you want. We call people who do that "unlikable" or "rude" or "idiots." We call children who do that "unparented" or "in need of better teachers." Do you see the issue here? When adults do those behaviors, it is on the adults. When children do those behaviors, it is on the adults. Therefore, these children who have never been held accountable for their I-think-I-am-an-adult attitudes become adults. Then, they are mystified when they lose their job.

Now the blog post feels sufficient.

Valete,
Magistra

No comments: