Friday, March 26, 2010

9 weeks in.

Salvete!

That's right! We are nine weeks into the third nine-weeks. So really, it has been eleven weeks since we came back from Christmas break (I see the word eleven, and always think "elvan"). In my district, the last day of midterms or finals is always a half day for the kids, and a late two-hour lunch break for the teachers. The lunch break is usually so late that coming back up to the building is pointless. I'm sure you get the idea.

In addition to the half day, students go to their third period classes first thing in the morning. As you can imagine, high schoolers struggle with this idea. Being like puppies, they get in the routine of going here first, there second. Any change in their routine causes great emotional distress (what doesn't cause great emotional distress for a teenager?). A student who normally has first period in my room walked in this morning. I greeted him without a second thought (teachers get in routines, too). He walked back out, looking confused. He didn't recognize any of the students in the room (my third period students). I realized both of our mistake, and sent him on his way.

Having students first thing in the morning is something of a challenge for me. For some reason, last year, when school started at 7:25, I was able to be chipper. This year, having first period as my conference, I have become a real afternoon person. I warned third period that I would be a different animal come Friday morning when they walked in. I warned them that I am quite grouchy in the morning, and not to cross me, on threat of death (or something). Incredibly, they took me seriously, and have been angels, else they themselves are still asleep, which is a distinct possibility. I really am grouchy, just not as grouchy as I let on I would be.

Thus far in the morning, little else has gone on. Mid-term time is usually quite subdued, as most of the students take them seriously, and understand that I will give them a zero if they should be caught cheating (I totally would).

I'll let you know if anything else goes awry.

As I typed that last statement, a student raised its hand. "My scantron is off by one, and I don't know where I got off," it said. "Well, you have lots of time left in class, so that's a good thing," I replied. So cruel.

Valete,
Magistra

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I laughed out loud at that last bit. MAGISTRA WIN.

Draco said...

"It." Ha!