Thursday, November 17, 2011

LOLWUT???

Salvete,

I assigned Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible as an outside novel. Every Thursday, we have literary circles where they talk about the book in a structured way in small groups. In this week's section of the novel, the village gets attacked by a ton of flesh eating ants. Whether or not it is a literal ton, I do not know, as there are a lot of ants but ants do not weigh much.

Anyway, here:

Student 1: "If the villagers are afraid of the river, why do they run there when the ants come?"
Me: "Maybe get eaten by crocs, or definitely get eaten by ants. Weigh the options. Which would you choose?"
Student 2: "That's when I start throwing rocks!"
Me: ...?

I'm still laughing, but the student has his back to me, so he doesn't know.

Also heard during literary circles:

Student 2: "I never said I was going to kill you."

Student 1: "Do you not have any common sense?"

Student 1: (Regarding shortening quotes by leaving out words and using elipses): "Just put the first letter and the last letter in quotes. They'll figure out what it is."

Valete,
Magistra

No comments: