Thursday, October 20, 2011

Tardies and Tartness

Savete,

It has been a while since anything really compelling has happened in my classroom. A few little incidents have occurred, and I will record them here today.

One of my very good students (shall we call him Roger?) walks into my class about five minutes tardy. I had seen Roger go in for a tardy during first period, as I was waiting in the office to attend a meeting. He walks into my room third period, and I ask for his pass. He does not have one, and tells me so as he shoves his backpack onto a computer table with controlled frustration. I ask him to please go get a tardy and he tells me, "I really don't want to do that, Miss. I'm already having a bad day." As I sigh with dejection and sorrow for the impending office referral that I sense, I ask him again to please go get a tardy. He thinks for a moment and says in a tone that does not reflect compliance, "OK! Here!" He pulls out a sheet of white paper which is - lo and behold - a tardy. Now, he saw me saw him get a tardy first period. He knows I am not stupid.

And yet...I look at the time stamp on the tardy, and it is most incorrect for the circumstances of this moment's particular tardy. I let him know that I realize what he is trying to pull, all the while maintaining my Sugar-Plum-Fairy-Smile-of-Goodness-and-Grace. I tell him he has tied my hands and left himself with only two choices. I can write him up for non-compliance or he can get a tardy. I "beg" him to get a tardy, and then move on with my life. I continue class (a lecture over the glorious topic of Archetypes) as I pull out an office referral form. He sees me do so, and I see him thinking. He interrupts my lecture with a sad but not unpleasant, "All right, Miss," and exits the room only to return with an appropriately time-stamped tardy several minutes later.

This experience was quite a show for my class, as they had never seen me have to discipline anyone outside of the occasional redirection. During my confrontation with Roger, they were watching with baited breath. Would I become angry at his defiance? Would I lose my temper? Would I let it slide because he was having a bad day? No, no, and again no. This is not personal. There was no reason to be mad. There was protocol to follow, and I followed it. All ended well, and Roger served his lunch detention the following day.

A few days later, a student (shall we call him Travis?) hung back once it was time to switch classes and waited for the rest of the students to leave. I had seen him do this before, usually to discuss some issue he was having with some class or teacher. Today, that issue turned out to be me.

I realize that my teaching style is what one might call "blatantly honest about real life and what I will and will not put up with." I make no efforts to spare the feelings of my students when it comes to how things are meant to run in my classroom. I have discussed before in this blog my policy for extra credit. I usually give the students two bathroom passes per 9-week semester. Each bathroom pass is worth 10 points of major grade credit.

On Wednesday, when I was explaining to the students how turning in bathroom passes works, this is what I said: "Make sure your name is on the passes, or I'm going to throw them away, because that is not my problem." They laughed a little and we moved on.

So, after class Travis stayed to tell me this: "Miss, did you know that sometimes you come across a little...well..."

I filled in for him, "Harsh?"

He blushed and nodded. He said, "I don't mind it so much, I kind of like it, but some other students might react negatively."

And I said, "Well, that's up to them; I just tell it how it is." He thanked me and left. So weird.

There was one more thing, but I think it should go in a separate post.

Valete,
Magistra

No comments: