Friday, October 7, 2011

So a Lawyer Walked into a Bar...

Salvete,

I meant to write this down a few days ago, but had not had the chance due to homecoming week taking over everyone's life at school. I wanted to take the time to write this blog entry because I never want to forget the event that inspired it. I believe that the following is a great reminder of why the job I do is important.

I got to school on Tuesday and met a student waiting for me. She is a good one, not the brightest, but definitely full of potential because of her desire to learn.

Somehow we got onto the topic of what she wanted to do after high school. She told me she wanted to be a lawyer. In the past, students have given their reason for wanting to be lawyers as they love to argue. While arguing is certainly part of a lawyer's job, there is much more too it (I would imagine, anyway).

When I asked my student why she wanted to be a lawyer, I expected the average answer. However, she said to me with such conviction, "I want to be a lawyer because I love justice."

"That's a good reason to be a lawyer," I replied.

She said to me, "Yes, miss, did you know that in Africa, if a man dies, his wife gets nothing? It all goes to his family? That is not right. They built that life together, and then she is not considered part of the family. No, miss, that is not right. I want to go back to Africa and I believe that I can make it right if I am a lawyer."

I hope that she does not lose that conviction. She said those words with so much belief, so much longing. She has lived in Africa before, and seen the injustice with her own eyes. Talking to her gave new meaning to what I do every day. I want to give the kids the skills to succeed, whatever that looks like for them. If they love justice, let them be lawyers. If they love healing, let them be doctors. If they love education, let them be teachers. And let me be ocean that helps their ship sail past the horizons of their dreams. Let them be "sailors of the world, bound for all ports," and let one of many currents along the way.

Valete,
Magistra

No comments: