Thursday, August 18, 2011

Salvete,

What a week it has been! And it is only Thursday. Today was just awesome. If you are one of those people who thinks that one's job cannot bring joy, find a different career. You have been lying to yourself.

As I worked in my room today, I noticed kids in the hall. I remembered that they were due to pick up their schedules today so that they could find their way in the new building. So that they knew I was available for help, I propped open my door. Inevitably, a few stopped to say hello. Seeing my former students brought so much joy to my heart. Even one with whom I had issues here and there (a very good student with a chip on his shoulder) came by to see me. The students were generous with the hugs and open with their questions about everything from summer reading to class locations to you-name-it. I really cannot believe I tried to leave and go to graduate school.

The new students I met today also had parents in tow. Meeting parents is always such an interesting experience. Our principal reminds us that parents do not keep their best kids at home. The parents send us the very best they have, even when that "very best" is not so great. The parents all asked good questions and I was pleased as punch to meet them.

One of the really exciting things about working with AVID (besides that the kids are almost guaranteed to be good) is that I get to know who they are before the first day of school. I get to help interview them, hand select them with a group of my peers, and I get to help ensure their success. A weighty charge, ensuring success.

Back to work I go tomorrow to plan until I fall over. I can't believe they pay me to do this!

Valete,
Magistra

No comments: