Wednesday, January 21, 2009

NKotB

Salvete,

Today was my first day of the new semester, even though it was everyone else's second. I had so many new students today! I now have 32 in my 7th period class. This is problematic, as I only have 30 desks/chairs. Luckily, two of the 32 were absent, so the children fit perfectly into my little classroom. Precious.

The assignment that I left the Latin kids was to write me a letter regarding their thoughts on how last semester went--what I could do better, what they could do better, what they liked, what they didn't like, what challenged them, etc. The letters came out pretty much how I expected. I wish I had brought them home so I could exerpt them. They were so cute! Everyone's letters that I got loved the class. One of the major strands throughout all of the letters was that they like my charismatic personality and teaching style. I wasn't surprised at this, but still was flattered. As a first year teacher, you doubt yourself and your skill, but the kids help so much to boost your self-esteem back up again (after working so hard to tear it down in the first place...).

As much negativity as I put forth in this blog at the beginning, I hope I can respond with more positivity now. Things are better...they are so much better that I actually find myself happy to walk into the school in the mornings. Outrageous, I know (refer to entry on October 15th). Teaching is stressful. Teaching builds character (a.k.a. Teaching is painful). Teaching is trying. But! Teaching is also rewarding in ways I never thought it could be. The things I say every day may very well stick with these kids forever.

Today in tutorials, I taught a girl how to understand inequalities as exhibited on a number line. She is one of my English students, but she needed help in math. Her math teacher wasn't there, so she came to my class to do her work. I was so glad to help her with something besides English. I can't put my finger on why that was so rewarding, seeing her grasp the idea that the circle is filled in if the inequality is "equal to" whatever. Maybe it is because in English, the concepts are more abstract, and seeing if the students are "getting it" takes more time and patience. In math, you get instant gratification if a student can figure out the concept. Bret, this is the part where you make some snide remark about Liberal Arts.

That's all for today, I guess.

Valete,
Magistra

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you're blogging again! Oh, and its great to hear that things are looking up in the classroom. I'll remember that when I start teaching: If I want to strangle the kids by December, I'll just hang on through January, and hopefully things will turn around.

Enjoy the rest of your week - Friday is just around the corner!